Sunday, July 12, 2015

St. Denis Cathedral


For our second field trip we visited the basilica of St. Denis and the Sacred Heart basilica. Both were incredibly beautiful. I'm only including pictures from St. Denis in this post.

The western rose window at St. Denis. This incredibly beautiful shimmering work of art is easily the most stunning piece of stained glass art I have ever seen. The light filtering through the stained glass in this cathedral casts beautiful colored spots of light all over the inside of the church.
Just one example of how the colored light decorates the inside of the church.


In this image I was trying to emphasize how small I felt by looking up. The pillars running from the floor to the ceiling are compound piers with responds, and join the groin vault bays at the top of the ceiling. This is also a good contrast between the restoration area and original sections of the church.


This image accentuates some of the external features of the gothic archetecture of this cathedral. The flying buttresses are connecting to the main structure, the pinnacles up at the very top are ornately carved and of course a few Gargoyles can be seen in this image as well.


I really do love stained glass. In this image you can really see from the inside the different indoor archetectural layers of this gothic structure. Up at the top is the clerestory, triforium, and the top of the pointed arch is also visible in this picture.


In this picture it was trying to get a good view of one of the many gargoyles that are a part of this building. Most people (including myself) are under the impression that they are purely decorative however they are used to channel water away from the building. So they are a functional decoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment