George de la Tour "The Fortune Teller"
I love this painting as an example of French Baroque. I love the colors but I also enjoy the subject matter. As you can see the young man in this picture is being distracted by having his fortune told as his pocket is being picked and his purse strings are being cut from behind. There are a lot of pick pockets in France and the art of any good pick pocket is to distract their mark so they don't know a robbery is taking place.
Caravaggio "Conversion of Saul"
I chose this painting because I was drawn to Caravaggio's use of light and dark (tenebrism). Saul is highlighted. Even if he didn't appear to be nearly stepped on by a horse it's obvious that something is happening to Saul since the rest of the painting is fairly dark and shadowed. Biblical themes are common in the art of this time. This is a lovely Italian baroque painting.
Artemisia Gentileschi "Judith Decapitating Holofernes"
Many baroque paintings are very dark in color and nature seemingly especially Italian baroque. I do like this painting. The scene is grim, it's raw. Women are not usually portrayed in this light. They are usually depicted as nurturing. Not in this painting. He sort of had it coming though.
Peter Paul Rubens "Arrival of Marie de Medici at Marseilles"
A fascinating painting by French baroque painter Peter Paul Rubens. There are many things going on in this painting. Poseidon and his daughters are included at the bottom, and if it had not been explained to me I really would have thought that was an angel flying above Marie's head.
Peter Paul Rubens "The Consequences of War"
Another great painting by Peter Paul Rubens. This is my favorite painting by Rubens. I love the symbology in this picture. The symbolic goddess of love trying to stop the determined god of war who is stepping on the book, and arts are getting crushed underneath. It is true that was is a destroyer of knowledge. Thinking back to the destruction of the library at Alexandria. No one really wins a war, someone merely looses less.





No comments:
Post a Comment