Friday, June 12, 2015

Slowing Down in a Museum

Reading The Art of Slowing Down in a Museum definitely had me thinking about museum trips I had taken in the past and how I behaved during them. My most recent trip to an art exhibit was at Disney World in Epcot. I went through several art exhibits on display in the world showcase but my favorite was the at the China pavilion. I loved reading the history and viewing the items. I wasn’t rushing but I didn’t take as much time as I wanted. Mostly this was due to other people who wanted to view the collection.  I felt rushed.  When I 1st visited the Smithsonian I did run through, almost literally trying to see as much as possible in the short time I had.
One of things this article spoke about that got to me was when it was stated that people think they have to behave a certain way in museums but actually they can be themselves. I suppose I don’t go to museums very often because I tend to think of them as stuffy. Sometimes, the only behavioral code is the one that is self-imposed.
Some strategies a museum could implement to help an individual slow down would probably be to offer a small movie on the period of art that is being shown (I encountered this at Epcot in Disney World and it worked). Perhaps if a person is reminded of what they are interested in from the time period it would help them focus on what most interests them.


Hopefully I won’t make the mistake of rushing through all the beautiful art in Paris. I am very much looking forward to seeing artwork in the various museums. 

No comments:

Post a Comment